Perfection (Angler's) Loop Knot for Fly Tying
|Perfection loop knots keep snug to bring in trophy fish.|
The perfection loop is a quick and clean loop knot that works great at the end of leaders and fly line butt sections to interconnect each other. The perfection loop is commonly used in pre-packaged leaders to connect the leader to the fly line. Perhaps the most popular fly fishing knot, the perfection knot is strong and effective, able to be made into a very small loop.
The perfection loop is a great choice for heavy monofilament or fluorocarbon lines. Just make sure to wet it with saliva or water before tightening to ensure the leader is lubricated.
Jake Ehlers walks you through tying the perfection loop in the video below using a rope, so you can easily see each step.
How to Tie a Perfect Loop Knot, Step-by-Step
- Begin by making an overhand loop.
- Wrap the tag end clockwise around the loop.
- Keep the loop secure with your forefinger and thumb.
- Lat the tag end between both loops.
- Again, secure with the thumb and forefinger.
- Reach from behind the first loop to pull the second through.
- Maintain pressure from forefinger and thumb to keep it from slipping.
- Pull from both ends to snug the perfection loop knot.
- Trim the tag end, and you're ready to fish.
Browse our fly tying tools and check out our selection of scissors and pliers for maneuvering and trimming lures and fly line.